Friday 4 May 2012

MOT time

The day of reckoning has arrived - I need to get Doris MOT'd tomorrow if I'm going to have any time to get a few shakedown rides in before the journey to Northwich for the bike show next week. So I've been doing a few jobs tonight.

First, the petrol tap leaks, so I'd ordered a new (pattern) one. When it arrived I could see that it had a built in filter, so all my hard work last week to retro fit a filter was unneccessary! I replaced the tap and reinstalled the original pipe which is much neater.

The most irritating job tonight was to fit a new ignition switch assembly (pattern again). After I had the test run last weekend and moved Doris to her new home in the garage, I promptly lost the key and have no spare....... To say I was annoyed is a minor understatement. Anyway, new switch fitted now, so the original key will show up tomorrow......

I've had an ongoing issue about the indicator switch - very tempremental when using the RH one. I stripped the switch down tonight and cleaned it all up, so it works great now. But I lost the spring and detent ball out of it! I have a spare switch assembly, so I've stripped that down and I'll sort that in the morning. But the wiring is so old and fragile in there, that the horn has now stopped working!!

I've stripped the horn section out of the spare loom and cleaned up the switch etc so I know that's OK now. In the morning I'll run that down the side of the existing loom as a temporary fix but soon I'll order up some new cable in the right colours and re-wire it so that I know it's reliable.

Oh I also put the new number plate on, which arrived this week. It cost quite a lot more for an original style pressed steel one but it looks soooooo much nicer and in keeping than a modern perspex one :) I rivetted it on to match how it was done originally. Really looks the part.

So, hopefully, once I sort those little bits out in the morning that should see all the issues sorted for the MOT. If it passes (please!), I can tax it in the morning and then get some miles in.

No comments:

Post a Comment