Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter Holidays = big progress!

Off work for 10 days at last, so I'm hoping to break the back of the rebuild while I'm off.

The upper engine parts have now been delivered for vapour blasting at F&J Motorcycles in Skelmersdale. The place looked great and has a really good reputation, so I'm looking forward to seeing the results at the end of the week.


I've spent a good solid day installing various bits and pieces. First the rear mudguard, grab rail and airbox got fully fitted:


The back wheel has been off a couple of times. I couldn't work out why there was so much free play on the rear sprocket. After a bit of pondering, it dawned on me that there must have been a spacer on the old rear drive sprocket that I hadn't spotted when dismantling. Sure enough, when I checked the "old bits" box, there it was, hidden under the grime - job done :) 
Noel's Top Tip - don't throw anything away till the rebuild is finished!

Next was the torque arm and brake pedal etc. That also needed a bit of rework as I'd put the main stand shaft in the wrong way round. But now the rear brake is fully functional.



That pedal spring looks a bit grimy compared to the nice new main stand one - I can see it being replaced asap :)

The battery box is fitted. Dreading doing the electrics though.....


I've also put some of the bits and pieces back on like seat catches and helmet lock etc. That gives me an opportunity for a good "before" and "after" photo:



So then I couln't put off the electrics any longer. Actually, it's not been too bad (so far), but only because I took a lot of photos and notes when I stripped it all down. I've given everthing a good squirt of contact cleaner as well, so hopefully that will help ensure it all works when the new battery goes in.






Short engine should be fitted this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment