Sunday 29 April 2012

First Ride and a new home for Doris

I had a few hours to play this afternoon so set sorting out the fuelling issues.

First off I needed to sort a fuel filter. Regular readers will recall I was struggling to fit a filter into the short pipe run and had broken one in the process. I got hold of a smaller filter and also some newer and more flexible fuel hose. After a lot of thought about how to fit the filter into such a short pipe run, I ended up with a fairly simple solution. What I did was attach a 90degree bend to the fuel tap with a short length of hose, then ran a length of hose in a gentle loop round, under and behind the tap so that I could mount the filter further back and then it was a nice gentle bend to the carb. Hard to describe, but I'll load a photo to show it when I get one.

Now that I had a "clean" fuel supply, I could balance the carbs. Judging from the heat of each pipe, the right one was doing very little compared to the left and that was borne out by the readings on the gauges. A lot smoother now :)

I couldn't resist taking a quick run around the block to see how she ran, so I attached the old number plate and off we went:


She's not quite running right below about 4-500rpm, but then picks up her skirts and flies :) Not sure if I've got the air screws adjusted right, so I'll have a look at that next. Or maybe something to do with the auto advance? Any ideas welcome....

Final little bits - I added the shiny new mirrors. I also got the new horn working. Another lesson in not jumping to conclusions - when the new one arrived I hooked it up and it beeped once, then wouldn't work again. So I started thinking it was the handlebar controls that were faulty again. Then I thought to just try tweaking the adjuster on the new horn and bingo she beeps like a good 'un!

Now all I need to do to be ready for the MOT is to get the right hand indicators working reliably - that does need the switchgear looking at, but I think I can get to that OK. I'm aiming to book the MOT for next Saturday, which will give me the bank holiday weekend to get some shakedown running in before the "long" (1 hour!) journey to Northwich the following week.

So Doris's long occupation of the shed is at an end and she can now take up her rightful place in the garage beside the VFR, who shall henceforth be known as Dorothy (don't ask!).



1 comment:

  1. Oh you naughty boy, no tax mot or insurance. I'm not saying to much though, when I brought the second RS here it was 11 miles and past a police station, when I get the N working and running well enough it'll be 13 miles, mostly back/country roads though so a calculated risk. In absence of any other means of doing so I take the chance from time to time with a runner. Sounds good anyway, good luck with the little details but looks like you're just about there sir! Regards and all, Michael.

    ReplyDelete