Tuesday 24 April 2012

She lives!

2 evenings of great progress!

Last night I got all of the paintwork sorted - so the side panels had their chrome trims replaced and then went on, followed by the tank with badges, hinged cap, petrol tap etc. Looking gooooood!



I LOVE the metallic grey wheels and polished rims against that deep red paintwork - it looks exactly like I'd imagined it. I can't believe that I managed to resist seeing how it looked until tonight!

I struggled when trying to fit the fuel filter though. There is such a small space betweek the tap outlet and carb inlet. Eventually I got it fitted, but with some quite extreme bends in the pipe, and I had to twist the fuel tap out of it's normal position so that the pipe exited kind of sideways to give a little more room.

I also fitted the clutch cable. The pattern one is a couple of inches longer than the original and so doesn't sit quite as neatly, but it does work. So I thought I'd check the clutch is working - engaged 2nd gear, clutch in and try to spin back wheel - locked solid. Bum! Another problem to sort......

I ran out of time to go for the burn. In truth, I didn't like the thought of it not starting and having to end the night on a low!

So to tonight. I rolled her out of the shed for the first time in 2+ years; fuelled her up; switched fuel on; kicked over on the kick start a couple of times; thumbed the starter, and .....she fired up second press of the button! I couldn't believe it. Even settled into a reasonable, if a little lumpy, tickover.

Anyway, celebrations dying down; as she warmed up she was running progressively worse. Then I noticed the pool of petrol on the floor! The cheap plastic fuel filter had snapped at the pipe union - my fault I think, as I must have put it under too much stress. So the bike wasn't running rough - just running out of petrol! I cleaned up and took the filter out (gulp - risky) as I couldn't resist seeing what she was like when warmed up. The answer was "fine" - a bit lumpy - one cylinder is obviously working harder than the other - but that should be OK once I balance the carbs. The engine sounds like the mileage is correct at 10k.

About that sticky clutch now. With the engine warmed up, and on the centre stand (rear wheel off the ground), I stuck it in first - clutch in, wheel still spinning. Jammed on the rear brake - stall! Hmmm well at least I know the brake works, even if the clutch doesn't! I tried again, this time in second and success; the clutch freed up. So a quick ride round the garden was called for :)

The photos below were taken just after the first start, which is why it's all a bit smoky, while the oil from the rebuild is burnt off.



Couldn't be happier tonight!

For some reason I am feeling an urge to give her a name, now that she's pretty much complete. Strangely, Doris keeps coming to mind - don't ask me why because I don't know (other than it also begins with D.) I have never felt the need to name any of my other bikes ....... Must me the emotional attachment and investment that comes with the rebuild?


1 comment:

  1. Good to see her up and running, not sure about the name but each to their own. I run all my bikes, except for my XJ600 which has one as standard I assume to protect the fuel pump without fuel filters. Only the one on the tap which came out of the factory and I can't even be sure my Ascot has that, never a problem although I'd avoid going to get petrol when they've just had a delivery. Regards and all, Michael.

    ReplyDelete