Wednesday 28 March 2012

Am I just being paranoid......

..... or do my wheels really hate me?

I'm sure they do. They must have really loved being rusty and anodised all those years but since I sanded it all off and polished them up to look shiny and new, they've done everything they could to drive me insane!

I finally got air into both of them last night - at the 3rd attempt each - hooray! What's even more impressive is that there was still air in them this morning......

I was desperate to get the front wheel on: a) to see what it looked like, and b) because the bike is VERY unstable on the centre stand while it's leaning down at the front on the fork ends. So as soon as the tyre was staying up last night, I tried to reassemble it onto the spindle.
Noel's Top Tip #17: don't get your spindles zinc plated. I never really thought about this but the zinc plating has added enough thickness to the spindle so that it won't go throught the holes in the bearings :(

Anyway, much careful work with a file later and it slid in like a good 'un, so the front wheel is at last in place, as is the front mudguard.




The airbox is also loosely in place, waiting for the rear mudguard to go on (now that it's more stable). Then some more careful filing on the rear spindle will no doubt be necessary as well.

It's almost starting to look like a motorbike again :) I'm hoping to drop the engine parts off for vapour basting on the way home from work on Friday, which will be another milestone reached.

45 days till the Thundersprint Bike Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment