Monday 19 March 2012

Wheels done!

I finished the detail polishing of the wheels last night, as best I could.

The little felt polishing pads I'd bought for the Dremel weren't really up to the job to be honest and I was in danger of doing more harm than good from the little devil spinning at 10,000rpm! So, discretion being the better part of valour etc, I gave up and polished it as best I could using good old Solvol Autosol and elbow grease.

It all looks pretty presentable now - with the plastic covers back on, a man on a galloping horse won't be able to see the little bits I couldn't get into. The photo doesn't do it justice with smudgy handprints all over!



I know I said that was the last thing before the rebuild starts, but ............. actually I have to strip the top end of the engine down to send the barrels, head and head cover off for vapour blasting. (I'm waiting for the valve spring compressor I've bought to turn up so I can finish stripping the head.) You can see the mucky and corroded upper engine on nicely painted cases behind the wheel in the photo above. The side cases will be polished when I get a spare couple of hours.

All that engine stuff won't stop me rebuilding the rolling chassis though, so I'm now clearing space to get started. :) :)

54 days till the Thundersprint bike show - time to get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment